Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Hume City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Hume City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hume City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,079||11.2||12.0||7,264||10.2||11.4||+1,815|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,369||10.3||10.5||6,402||9.0||9.7||+1,967|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,078||11.2||11.2||6,994||9.9||10.1||+2,084|
|35 hours - 39 hours||18,424||22.7||18.7||15,526||21.9||17.6||+2,898|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,795||8.4||9.2||6,438||9.1||10.2||+357|
|49 hours or more||8,704||10.7||13.7||8,597||12.1||15.2||+107|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Hume City's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 35.7% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.6% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Hume City and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (11.2% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (8.4% compared to 9.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (10.7% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Hume City increased by 4580 people (10.1%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Hume City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,898 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,084 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,967 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,815 persons)