Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Hume City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Hume City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Hume City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||11,395||11.1||11.7||9,079||11.2||12.0||+2,316|
|16 hours - 24 hours||11,348||11.0||10.8||8,369||10.3||10.5||+2,979|
|25 hours - 34 hours||11,823||11.5||11.6||9,078||11.2||11.2||+2,745|
|35 hours - 39 hours||25,052||24.3||20.8||18,424||22.7||18.7||+6,628|
|41 hours - 48 hours||7,287||7.1||8.0||6,795||8.4||9.2||+492|
|49 hours or more||8,770||8.5||11.1||8,704||10.7||13.7||+66|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Hume City's resident workers in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Hume City and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.3% compared to 20.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.1% compared to 8.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (8.5% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (2.5% compared to 1.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Hume City increased by 10874 people (21.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Hume City between2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+6,628 persons)
- 40 hours (+3,688 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,979 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,745 persons)