Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Kingston's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Kingston||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||10,259||12.6||12.6||9,921||13.4||13.1||+338|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,153||10.0||11.0||7,189||9.7||10.6||+964|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,486||14.1||12.4||11,293||15.2||13.3||+193|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,400||4.2||5.9||3,243||4.4||5.8||+157|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,374||1.7||2.0||1,158||1.6||1.7||+216|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Kingston in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (21,568 people or 26.5%)
- Managers (12,556 people or 15.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,486 people or 14.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 45,610 people in total or 56.1% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% in Professionals; 14.0% in Managers and 12.4% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Kingston and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (6.5% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.2% compared to 5.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (14.1% compared to 12.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (26.5% compared to 25.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Kingston increased by 7,185 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Kingston were those employed as:
- Professionals (+3,531 persons)
- Managers (+2,189 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+964 persons)
- Sales Workers (-590 persons)