Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Knox's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Knox depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Knox - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||9,417||12.2||12.0||8,938||11.5||11.4||+479|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,850||10.1||10.5||7,294||9.4||9.7||+556|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,577||11.1||11.2||7,646||9.9||10.1||+931|
|35 hours - 39 hours||16,110||20.8||18.7||15,183||19.6||17.6||+927|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,987||9.0||9.2||8,033||10.4||10.2||-1,046|
|49 hours or more||8,977||11.6||13.7||10,181||13.1||15.2||-1,204|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Knox's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Knox and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (20.8% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.4% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.6% compared to 13.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked Not stated (1.6% compared to 1.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Knox decreased by 1562 people (-3.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Knox between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-1,204 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-1,046 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+931 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+927 persons)