Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Knox residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Knox, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Knox are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Knox - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||231||0.3||2.2||167||0.2||2.1||+64|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||793||1.0||1.1||776||1.0||1.0||+17|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,170||5.4||6.6||3,711||4.6||5.8||+459|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||2,834||3.7||4.8||2,871||3.5||4.4||-37|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,507||1.9||1.9||1,553||1.9||1.9||-46|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,867||3.7||3.9||3,169||3.9||3.9||-302|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,090||1.4||1.6||916||1.1||1.3||+174|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||5,486||7.1||7.9||5,359||6.6||7.3||+127|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,622||3.4||3.4||2,490||3.1||3.1||+132|
|Public Administration and Safety||3,351||4.3||5.3||3,390||4.2||5.0||-39|
|Education and Training||6,179||8.0||8.6||5,414||6.7||7.6||+765|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||9,444||12.2||12.5||8,355||10.3||10.9||+1,089|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,216||1.6||1.9||1,018||1.3||1.6||+198|
|Industry not classified||3,866||5.0||4.7||1,803||2.2||2.3||+2,063|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Knox in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (9,444 people or 12.2%)
- Retail Trade (9,244 people or 12.0%)
- Manufacturing (7,620 people or 9.9%)
In combination these three industries employed 26,308 people in total or 34.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 10.2% in Retail Trade and 7.8% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Knox and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (9.9% compared to 7.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.3% compared to 2.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Wholesale Trade (5.1% compared to 3.2%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Retail Trade (12.0% compared to 10.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Knox were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-3,171 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,063 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-1,392 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,089 resident workforce)