Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Knox - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||16,466||25.6||33.3||12,822||20.6||28.6||+3,644|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||7,733||12.0||11.5||6,525||10.5||10.4||+1,208|
|Certificate I and II Level||649||1.0||1.0||748||1.2||1.1||-99|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,109||20.4||18.1||12,755||20.5||17.9||+354|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,236||1.9||1.8||1,037||1.7||1.5||+199|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,620||2.5||2.8||2,592||4.2||4.0||-972|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Knox in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 61.0% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 36.4% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Knox and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (25.6% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (36.4% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (20.4% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.0% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Knox between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+3,644 local workers)
- No qualification (-2,463 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,208 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+354 local workers)