Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Monash's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Monash depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Monash - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||10,843||13.5||12.0||9,750||12.4||11.4||+1,093|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,855||11.0||10.5||8,282||10.6||9.7||+573|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,447||10.5||11.2||7,539||9.6||10.1||+908|
|35 hours - 39 hours||15,683||19.5||18.7||14,452||18.4||17.6||+1,231|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,748||8.4||9.2||7,555||9.6||10.2||-807|
|49 hours or more||8,888||11.1||13.7||9,862||12.6||15.2||-974|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Monash's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 37.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.4% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.5% compared to 12.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (19.5% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (21.4% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.1% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Monash increased by 99 people (0.2%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Monash between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,231 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,093 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-974 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+908 persons)