Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the City of Monash will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the City of Monash;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Monash - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||13,396||11.5||12.6||12,971||12.3||13.1||+425|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||10,966||9.4||11.0||9,129||8.6||10.6||+1,837|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||16,179||13.9||12.4||15,993||15.1||13.3||+186|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||5,354||4.6||5.9||5,436||5.1||5.8||-82|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,292||2.0||2.0||1,765||1.7||1.7||+527|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the City of Monash in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (35,611 local workers or 30.5%)
- Managers (16,636 local workers or 14.3%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (16,179 local workers or 13.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 68,426 people in total or 58.6% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% as Professionals; 14.0% as Managers and 12.4% as Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (30.5% compared to 25.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.3% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (9.4% compared to 11.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (13.9% compared to 12.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the City of Monash between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+5,567 local workers)
- Managers (+2,008 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,837 local workers)
- Inadequately described or not stated (+527 local workers)