City of Monash
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
Within the City of Monash, the workforce has a similar proportion of Managers and Professionals compared to Victoria.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local worers in City of Monash will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in City of Monash;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 – by place of work
Please note: Currently only 2016 data are available for work destination. 2011 data are not comparable due to a change in methodology in 2016 which “imputed” a work destination to those workers who didn’t state their work destination. This means comparisons with earlier years should not be made. .id are currently sourcing data collected under the same methodology in 2011 which will be added to this page at a later date. For a detailed case study of this issue please visit our blog post.
|Local workers occupations|
|City of Monash - All industries||2016|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria %|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||12,971||12.3||13.1||0||--||--||+12,971||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||9,129||8.6||10.6||0||--||--||+9,129||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||15,993||15.1||13.3||0||--||--||+15,993||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||5,436||5.1||5.8||0||--||--||+5,436||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,765||1.7||1.7||0||--||--||+1,765||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id, the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the in City of Monash in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (30,044 local workers or 28.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (15,993 local workers or 15.1%)
- Managers (14,628 local workers or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 60,665 people in total or 57.3% of the local workers .
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.2% as Professionals; 13.3% as Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.5% as Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the in the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (28.4% compared to 23.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (15.1% compared to 13.3%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (6.5% compared to 9.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (8.6% compared to 10.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the in the City of Monash between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Professionals (+30,044 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+15,993 local workers)
- Managers (+14,628 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+12,971 local workers)