Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Monash's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Monash||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||9,066||9.8||12.6||8,364||10.4||13.1||+702|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,493||9.2||11.0||7,202||9.0||10.6||+1,291|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||11,954||13.0||12.4||11,441||14.2||13.3||+513|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||3,757||4.1||5.9||2,898||3.6||5.8||+859|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,929||2.1||2.0||1,368||1.7||1.7||+561|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Monash in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (29,473 people or 32.0%)
- Managers (12,814 people or 13.9%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (11,954 people or 13.0%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 54,241 people in total or 58.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% in Professionals; 14.0% in Managers and 12.4% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Monash and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (32.0% compared to 25.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (9.8% compared to 12.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (4.1% compared to 5.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (9.2% compared to 11.0%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Monash increased by 11,686 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Monash were those employed as:
- Professionals (+5,029 persons)
- Managers (+1,787 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,291 persons)
- Labourers (+965 persons)