Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of the Murweh Shire's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Murweh Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Murweh Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Murweh Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Murweh Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||370||18.1||2.8||377||15.9||2.6||-7|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||13||0.6||1.1||13||0.5||1.1||--|
|Accommodation and Food Services||109||5.3||7.3||114||4.8||6.5||-5|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||98||4.8||5.1||104||4.4||4.9||-6|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||13||0.6||1.2||13||0.5||1.2||--|
|Financial and Insurance Services||16||0.8||2.5||18||0.8||2.5||-2|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||12||0.6||2.0||17||0.7||1.7||-5|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||47||2.3||6.3||47||2.0||6.1||--|
|Administrative and Support Services||47||2.3||3.5||28||1.2||3.0||+19|
|Public Administration and Safety||201||9.8||6.6||220||9.3||6.3||-19|
|Education and Training||185||9.0||9.0||185||7.8||7.4||--|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||262||12.8||13.0||307||12.9||11.2||-45|
|Arts and Recreation Services||6||0.3||1.6||14||0.6||1.3||-8|
|Industry not classified||95||4.6||4.3||70||2.9||2.2||+25|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Murweh Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (370 people or 18.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (262 people or 12.8%)
- Public Administration and Safety (201 people or 9.8%)
In combination these three industries employed 833 people in total or 40.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 6.6% in Public Administration and Safety.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Murweh Shire and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (18.1% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2.3% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (5.3% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (9.8% compared to 6.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Murweh Shire were for those employed in:
- Construction (-72 resident workforce)
- Retail Trade (-48 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (-45 resident workforce)
- Wholesale Trade (-32 resident workforce)