Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Randwick City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Randwick City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Randwick City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,894||10.1||10.8||6,168||9.8||10.4||+726|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,870||10.1||10.4||6,019||9.6||9.7||+851|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,202||9.1||10.5||5,419||8.6||9.8||+783|
|35 hours - 39 hours||10,836||15.9||19.1||9,961||15.8||18.2||+875|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,910||10.1||9.1||7,084||11.2||10.0||-174|
|49 hours or more||12,006||17.6||14.9||11,367||18.0||16.4||+639|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Randwick City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.3% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 66.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Randwick City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (9.1% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (15.9% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.5% compared to 20.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (17.6% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Randwick City increased by 3248 people (7.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Randwick City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+1,908 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+875 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+851 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+783 persons)