Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Randwick City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Randwick City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Randwick City Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,948||10.1||10.8||6,894||10.1||10.8||+54|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,907||10.0||10.4||6,870||10.1||10.4||+37|
|25 hours - 34 hours||5,784||8.4||10.0||6,202||9.1||10.5||-418|
|35 hours - 39 hours||12,220||17.7||20.4||10,836||15.9||19.1||+1,384|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,480||7.9||7.4||6,910||10.1||9.1||-1,430|
|49 hours or more||9,786||14.2||11.5||12,006||17.6||14.9||-2,220|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Randwick City's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 36.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 61.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Randwick City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (8.4% compared to 10.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.7% compared to 20.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (22.0% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (14.2% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Randwick City decreased by 2420 people (-5.4%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Randwick City between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+3,670 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-2,220 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-1,430 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,384 persons)