Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Rockingham - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||5,993||19.9||27.4||4,210||16.2||23.2||+1,783|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,455||11.5||10.8||2,658||10.3||9.8||+797|
|Certificate I and II Level||584||1.9||1.4||484||1.9||1.4||+100|
|Certificate III & IV Level||7,075||23.5||21.9||5,770||22.3||21.1||+1,305|
|Certificate Level, nfd||700||2.3||2.1||490||1.9||1.7||+210|
|Inadequately described or not stated||819||2.7||2.8||1,190||4.6||4.0||-371|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Rockingham in 2016 compared to Western Australia shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 59.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 38.0% had no qualifications, compared with 63.6% and 33.6% respectively for Western Australia.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Rockingham and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (19.9% compared to 27.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (38.0% compared to 33.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (23.5% compared to 21.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.5% compared to 10.8%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Rockingham between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,783 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,305 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+797 local workers)
- No qualification (+314 local workers)