Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Shoalhaven City residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Shoalhaven City, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Shoalhaven City are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Shoalhaven City - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||850||2.0||2.0||761||2.1||2.1||+89|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||430||1.0||1.0||388||1.1||0.9||+42|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,016||9.5||6.2||3,495||9.6||7.1||+521|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,282||3.0||4.6||1,226||3.4||4.7||+56|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||263||0.6||1.8||273||0.8||2.2||-10|
|Financial and Insurance Services||618||1.5||5.3||516||1.4||4.9||+102|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||642||1.5||1.7||588||1.6||1.8||+54|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,047||4.8||8.9||1,611||4.4||8.1||+436|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,645||3.9||3.2||1,508||4.2||3.5||+137|
|Public Administration and Safety||4,148||9.8||6.1||3,683||10.1||6.0||+465|
|Education and Training||3,498||8.3||8.7||2,846||7.8||8.4||+652|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||6,777||16.0||14.4||5,356||14.7||12.5||+1,421|
|Arts and Recreation Services||533||1.3||1.4||510||1.4||1.5||+23|
|Industry not classified||1,607||3.8||4.6||1,420||3.9||4.7||+187|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Shoalhaven City in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (6,777 people or 16.0%)
- Construction (5,039 people or 11.9%)
- Retail Trade (4,519 people or 10.7%)
In combination these three industries employed 16,335 people in total or 38.6% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 14.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.6% in Construction and 9.0% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Shoalhaven City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.8% compared to 8.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.5% compared to 5.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (9.8% compared to 6.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.9% compared to 8.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Shoalhaven City were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,421 resident workforce)
- Construction (+1,080 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+652 resident workforce)
- Accommodation and Food Services (+521 resident workforce)