Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Shoalhaven City - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||6,550||19.5||32.6||5,163||16.8||27.9||+1,387|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||3,898||11.6||11.1||3,136||10.2||10.5||+762|
|Certificate I and II Level||631||1.9||1.2||677||2.2||1.4||-46|
|Certificate III & IV Level||9,429||28.0||18.7||8,118||26.5||18.8||+1,311|
|Certificate Level, nfd||919||2.7||2.3||698||2.3||1.9||+221|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,135||3.4||2.9||1,583||5.2||4.5||-448|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Shoalhaven City in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.0% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Shoalhaven City and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (19.5% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (28.0% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.0% compared to 31.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate I and II Level (1.9% compared to 1.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Shoalhaven City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+1,387 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,311 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+762 local workers)
- Certificate Level, nfd (+221 local workers)