Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of South Perth across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2016|
|City of South Perth - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Western Australia%||Number||%||Western Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||2,104||16.4||11.9||1,707||13.9||10.8||+397|
|16 hours - 24 hours||1,717||13.4||9.9||1,536||12.5||9.2||+181|
|25 hours - 34 hours||1,584||12.3||10.6||1,351||11.0||9.5||+233|
|35 hours - 39 hours||2,266||17.6||17.1||2,036||16.5||15.8||+230|
|41 hours - 48 hours||1,008||7.8||9.4||1,117||9.1||11.0||-109|
|49 hours or more||1,520||11.8||17.7||1,706||13.9||20.2||-186|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the City of South Perth in 2016 compared to Western Australia within the City of South Perth shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 45.3% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 53.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 36.4% and 61.9% respectively for Western Australia within the City of South Perth.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the City of South Perth and Western Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (16.4% compared to 11.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.4% compared to 9.9%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (16.0% compared to 17.7%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 49 hours or more (11.8% compared to 17.7%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the City of South Perth between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+397 local workers)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+233 local workers)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+230 local workers)
- 49 hours or more (-186 local workers)