Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among Wollondilly Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in Wollondilly Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of Wollondilly Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Wollondilly Shire - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||325||1.2||2.3||286||1.2||2.1||+39|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||3,785||14.3||10.0||3,707||15.4||10.4||+78|
|Architecture and Building||1,948||7.3||4.3||1,590||6.6||4.4||+358|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||516||1.9||1.5||481||2.0||1.5||+35|
|Management and Commerce||3,243||12.2||18.3||2,835||11.8||17.1||+408|
|Society and Culture||2,111||8.0||9.7||1,727||7.2||8.8||+384|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||904||3.4||3.2||783||3.3||3.3||+121|
|Mixed Field Programmes||15||0.1||0.1||18||0.1||0.1||-3|
|Not stated or inadequately described||701||2.6||2.8||711||3.0||2.7||-10|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in Wollondilly Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (3,785 people or 14.3%)
- Management and Commerce (3,243 people or 12.2%)
- Society and Culture (2,111 people or 8.0%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 9,139 people in total or 34.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 10.0% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 18.3% in Management and Commerce and 9.7% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of Wollondilly Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.2% compared to 18.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (14.3% compared to 10.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (7.3% compared to 4.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Information Technology (1.0% compared to 3.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Wollondilly Shire increased by 2,484 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2016 and 2021 in Wollondilly Shire was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+408 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+384 resident workers)
- Health (+379 resident workers)
- Architecture and Building (+358 resident workers)