Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Wollondilly Shire residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Wollondilly Shire, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Wollondilly Shire are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Wollondilly Shire - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||569||2.4||2.1||515||2.3||2.1||+54|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||360||1.5||0.9||362||1.6||1.0||-2|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,162||4.8||7.1||988||4.4||6.3||+174|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,487||6.2||4.7||1,378||6.2||4.6||+109|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||181||0.8||2.2||169||0.8||2.2||+12|
|Financial and Insurance Services||587||2.4||4.9||509||2.3||4.8||+78|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||413||1.7||1.8||364||1.6||1.5||+49|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,126||4.7||8.1||991||4.5||7.4||+135|
|Administrative and Support Services||691||2.9||3.5||521||2.3||3.1||+170|
|Public Administration and Safety||1,462||6.1||6.0||1,200||5.4||5.8||+262|
|Education and Training||2,176||9.0||8.4||1,767||8.0||7.5||+409|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,372||9.9||12.5||2,114||9.5||10.9||+258|
|Arts and Recreation Services||316||1.3||1.5||301||1.4||1.4||+15|
|Industry not classified||1,179||4.9||4.7||490||2.2||2.3||+689|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Wollondilly Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Construction (3,559 people or 14.8%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,372 people or 9.9%)
- Retail Trade (2,268 people or 9.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 8,199 people in total or 34.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.4% in Construction; 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Wollondilly Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (14.8% compared to 8.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.7% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (9.9% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (2.4% compared to 4.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Wollondilly Shire were for those employed in:
- Construction (+1,014 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-707 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+689 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+409 resident workforce)