Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in Wollondilly Shire will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in Wollondilly Shire;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|Wollondilly Shire - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,602||19.4||11.8||2,223||20.0||12.7||+379|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,177||8.8||10.6||973||8.7||10.4||+204|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,515||11.3||13.0||1,215||10.9||13.8||+300|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,895||14.1||6.0||1,640||14.7||6.1||+255|
|Inadequately described or not stated||231||1.7||1.9||193||1.7||1.8||+38|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in Wollondilly Shire in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,602 local workers or 19.4%)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (1,895 local workers or 14.1%)
- Professionals (1,807 local workers or 13.5%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 6,304 people in total or 47.0% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 11.8% as Technicians and Trades Workers; 6.0% as Machinery Operators And Drivers and 25.9% as Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in Wollondilly Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (13.5% compared to 25.9%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Machinery Operators And Drivers (14.1% compared to 6.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (19.4% compared to 11.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (12.1% compared to 8.2%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in Wollondilly Shire between2016 and 2021 were those employed as:
- Professionals (+427 local workers)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+379 local workers)
- Managers (+364 local workers)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (+300 local workers)