Woollahra Municipal Council area
Employment by industry (FTE)
In Woollahra Municipal Council area, Education and Training is the largest employer, generating 2,451 FTE jobs in 2016/17.
Full-time equivalent (FTE) employment is modelled by NIEIR and takes into account differences in hours worked between industry sectors. It is a measure that allows direct comparison of employment between industries in Woollahra Municipal Council area.
Typically, industries such as Retail Trade and Accommodation and Food Services, which employ many part-time workers, have lower FTE employment than total employment.
FTE employment is calculated directly by dividing the total hours worked in each industry by 38. By comparing the number of full-time equivalent jobs in each industry sector to a regional benchmark, you can clearly see the structure of Woollahra Municipal Council area's economy. This can be done by directly comparing the area to its benchmark, or by using a location quotient to look at the relative size of industries.
FTE employment should be viewed in conjunction with Employment by industry (Total) and Employment by industry (Census), for a full understanding of the industry breakdown in the area. Worker productivity data shows the value of a worker in each industry to the local economy. Employment locations shows where employment is taking place in each industry sector.
NOTE: FTE employment is derived from Census data but has been corrected for the known undercount of employment in the Census. Detailed notes about how the figures are derived can be found in the specific topic notes section.
National Economics (NIEIR) - Modelled series
|Full-time equivalent employment by industry sector|
|Woollahra Municipal Council area||2016/17||2011/12||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011/12 to 2016/17|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||54||0.3||2.6||60||0.3||3.2||-7||23000||P|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||13||0.1||1.2||29||0.2||1.3||-16||23300||P|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,854||9.5||5.8||1,709||9.7||6.0||+145||23700||P|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||174||0.9||5.9||184||1.0||5.9||-10||23800||P|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||383||2.0||2.5||377||2.1||2.7||+6||23900||P|
|Financial and Insurance Services||711||3.6||5.3||681||3.9||5.4||+30||24000||P|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,351||6.9||1.9||1,068||6.0||1.8||+283||24100||P|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||2,401||12.3||10.6||1,964||11.1||9.3||+436||24200||P|
|Administrative and Support Services||645||3.3||3.2||678||3.8||3.2||-33||24300||P|
|Public Administration and Safety||985||5.0||5.7||1,123||6.4||5.8||-138||24400||P|
|Education and Training||2,451||12.5||7.5||1,867||10.6||6.9||+584||24500||P|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,439||12.5||11.6||1,823||10.3||10.3||+617||24600||P|
|Arts and Recreation Services||664||3.4||1.6||545||3.1||1.4||+119||24700||P|
Source: National Institute of Economic and Industry Research (NIEIR) (opens a new window) ©2016. Compiled and presented in economy.id by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
NIEIR-ID data are adjusted each year, using updated employment estimates. Each release may change previous years’ figures.Learn more
An analysis of the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers in Woollahra Municipal Council area in 2016/17 shows the three largest industries were:
- Education and Training (2,451 full-time equivalent local workers or 12.5%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,439 full-time equivalent local workers or 12.5%)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (2,401 full-time equivalent local workers or 12.3%)
In combination these three industries accounted for 7,291 people in total or 37.3% of local workers.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 7.5% in Education and Training; 11.6% in Health Care and Social Assistance; and 10.6% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers of Woollahra Municipal Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Education and Training (12.5% compared to 7.5%)
- A larger percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (6.9% compared to 1.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Manufacturing (1.5% compared to 7.9%)
- A smaller percentage of full-time equivalent local workers employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (0.9% compared to 5.9%)
The number of local workers in the full-time equivalent work in Woollahra Municipal Council area increased by 1,890 between 2011/12 and 2016/17.
The largest changes in the jobs held by the full-time equivalent local workers between 2011/12 and 2016/17 in Woollahra Municipal Council area were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+617 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Education and Training (+584 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+436 full-time equivalent local workers)
- Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services (+283 full-time equivalent local workers)