Woollahra Municipal Council area
Resident workers - Qualifications
74.2% of the resident workers in Woollahra Municipal Council area have qualifications, compared to 47.2% for New South Wales.
Education is an essential means of building the knowledge and skill levels of the labour force, which is a key factor in achieving future economic and social development.
The level of educational attainment for Woollahra Municipal Council area's resident workforce relates to a number of factors including:
- The age structure of the resident workforce;
- The professional or social ambitions of people to obtain qualifications (that is, to seek education and retraining);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling, and;
- The knowledge and skill requirements of the local industries.
Qualification should be looked at in conjunction with Income, Occupation and Field of qualification for a clearer picture of the knowledge and skill level of Woollahra Municipal Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the Qualifications of local resident worker with local workers, Qualifications statistics indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers qualifications|
|Woollahra Municipal Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||17,676||63.1||32.6||15,612||58.8||27.9||+2,064||25001|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||2,530||9.0||11.2||2,687||10.1||10.5||-157||25002|
|Certificate I and II Level||127||0.5||1.2||138||0.5||1.4||-11||25005|
|Certificate III & IV Level||1,486||5.3||18.7||1,517||5.7||18.9||-31||25006|
|Certificate Level, nfd||463||1.7||2.3||284||1.1||1.9||+179||25007|
|Inadequately described or not stated||778||2.8||2.9||1,017||3.8||4.5||-239||25009|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the qualifications of the resident workers in Woollahra Municipal Council area in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a lower proportion of people with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 74.2% of the resident workers held educational qualifications, and 17.7% had no qualifications, compared with 47.2% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between qualifications held by the resident workers of Woollahra Municipal Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers with Bachelor or Higher degrees (63.1% compared to 32.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with No qualifications (17.7% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Certificate III & IV Levels (5.3% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers with Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (9.0% compared to 11.2%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the resident workers in Woollahra Municipal Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degrees (+2,064 people )
- No qualifications (-340 people )
- Certificate Level, nfds (+179 people )
- Advanced Diploma or Diplomas (-157 people )