52.7% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Balonne Shire work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Balonne Shire's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Balonne Shire depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Balonne Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||211||9.8||11.0||175||7.6||10.4||+36|
|16 hours - 24 hours||173||8.0||9.4||136||5.9||8.8||+37|
|25 hours - 34 hours||248||11.5||12.0||227||9.9||10.8||+21|
|35 hours - 39 hours||262||12.2||19.2||241||10.5||18.1||+21|
|41 hours - 48 hours||155||7.2||9.4||188||8.2||10.5||-33|
|49 hours or more||666||30.9||16.6||854||37.3||18.4||-188|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Balonne Shire's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 32.5% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 64.8% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Balonne Shire and Queensland were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (12.2% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (14.5% compared to 17.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.2% compared to 9.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (30.9% compared to 16.6%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Balonne Shire decreased by 204 people (-12.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Balonne Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 49 hours or more (-188 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+37 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+36 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-33 persons)