Bayside CouncilEconomic profile
Skip to content

Bayside Council area

About the area

Location and boundaries

The Bayside Council area is located in Sydney's southern and south-eastern suburbs – between 7 and 12 kilometres south of the Sydney CBD. The Bayside Council area is bounded by the City of Canterbury Bankstown, Wolli Creek, the Cooks River, the Inner West Council area and the City of Sydney in the north, Randwick City in the east, Botany Bay and the Georges River in the south, and the Georges River Council area in the west.

Included areas

The Bayside Council area includes the suburbs of Arncliffe, Banksia, Banksmeadow, Bardwell Park, Bardwell Valley, Bexley, Bexley North, Botany, Brighton-Le-Sands, Carlton (part), Daceyville, Dolls Point, Eastgardens, Eastlakes, Hillsdale, Kingsgrove (part), Kogarah (part), Kyeemagh, Mascot, Monterey, Pagewood, Ramsgate (part), Ramsgate Beach, Rockdale, Rosebery (part), Sandringham, Sans Souci (part), Turrella and Wolli Creek.

Economic region
Bayside Council area

Land use

The Bayside Council area is a mixed use area, with residential, industrial and commercial land use. The Council area encompasses a total land area of about 55 square kilometres, including significant foreshore and parkland areas.

Transport

The Bayside Council area is served by the Princes Highway, the South Western Motorway (M5), General Holmes Drive, Southern Cross Drive, Sydney Airport, and the Airport, East Hills and Illawarra railway lines.

Settlement history

European settlement dates from 1804 when the first land grants were made, with land being used mainly for farming. Market gardening was established in the 1830s, with the famous Botany market gardens becoming an important source of food supply for developing Sydney. From the 1850s many industries were established in the eastern areas. Population was minimal until the 1870s. Residential and industrial growth took place from the late 1800s into the early 1900s, aided by the opening of the Illawarra railway line in the 1880s, and the East Hills railway line in the late 1920s. In the early 1920s the suburb of Mascot was chosen as the site for Sydney Airport. Some growth occurred in the inter-war period, spurred by the extension of the East Hills railway line to Kingsgrove in 1931. Botany Bay was first used as a port in 1930, and was significantly expanded in the 1970s. Significant residential development occurred during the post-war years, with the population of the Council area rising from about 108,000 in 1961 to about 122,000 in 1971, with a surge in medium-density housing during the 1950s and 1960s. The population declined slightly during the 1970s, falling to about 118,000 in 1981. The population fluctuated during the 1980s, rising to about 122,000 in 1986, and then falling to under 119,000 in 1991. The population increased steadily from early the 1990s, rising to about 123,000 in 2001, and then to about 137,000 in 2011. Recent growth has been largely due to urban renewal and high density housing in previously industrial areas, redevelopment near the Mascot train station, and tourism around the beach areas. Population growth is expected to continue, particularly around the public transport nodes of Arncliffe, Mascot, Rockdale and Wolli Creek.

Indigenous background

The original inhabitants of the Bayside Council area were the Cadigal and Kameygal Aboriginal people.

v18.09.24-1.0.0