Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Bega Valley Shire's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Bega Valley Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||2,018||15.3||12.7||1,966||15.1||13.2||+52|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||1,605||12.2||10.4||1,523||11.7||9.5||+82|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||1,438||10.9||13.8||1,459||11.2||15.1||-21|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||763||5.8||6.1||836||6.4||6.4||-73|
|Inadequately described or not stated||208||1.6||1.8||167||1.3||1.8||+41|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Bega Valley Shire in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (2,109 people or 16.0%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (2,018 people or 15.3%)
- Labourers (1,816 people or 13.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 5,943 people in total or 45.2% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 8.8% in Labourers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (16.0% compared to 23.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (13.8% compared to 8.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (10.9% compared to 13.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.3% compared to 12.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in Bega Valley Shire increased by 114 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in Bega Valley Shire were those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+82 persons)
- Sales Workers (+74 persons)
- Machinery Operators And Drivers (-73 persons)
- Managers (-71 persons)