Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Bega Valley Shire - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||2,339||19.6||32.6||2,055||17.2||27.9||+284|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||1,217||10.2||11.1||1,040||8.7||10.5||+177|
|Certificate I and II Level||235||2.0||1.2||247||2.1||1.4||-12|
|Certificate III & IV Level||3,084||25.8||18.7||2,925||24.5||18.8||+159|
|Certificate Level, nfd||329||2.8||2.3||258||2.2||1.9||+71|
|Inadequately described or not stated||434||3.6||2.9||586||4.9||4.5||-152|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Bega Valley Shire in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 60.3% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 36.0% had no qualifications, compared with 65.9% and 31.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Bega Valley Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (19.6% compared to 32.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (25.8% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (36.0% compared to 31.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (10.2% compared to 11.1%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Bega Valley Shire between 2011 and 2016 were:
- No qualification (-519 local workers)
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+284 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+177 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+159 local workers)