40.2% of the resident workers (All industries) in the Central Coast Council area work 40 or more hours, compared to 44.1% in New South Wales.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Central Coast Council area's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Central Coast Council area depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Central Coast NSW - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||16,892||12.1||10.8||15,678||12.0||10.4||+1,214|
|16 hours - 24 hours||15,514||11.1||10.4||13,593||10.4||9.7||+1,921|
|25 hours - 34 hours||16,816||12.0||10.5||14,799||11.3||9.8||+2,017|
|35 hours - 39 hours||26,646||19.1||19.1||24,596||18.8||18.2||+2,050|
|41 hours - 48 hours||11,690||8.4||9.1||12,093||9.2||10.0||-403|
|49 hours or more||18,145||13.0||14.9||18,310||14.0||16.4||-165|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the Central Coast Council area's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.9% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the Central Coast Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.1% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.0% compared to 10.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.8% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.0% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the Central Coast Council area increased by 4438 people (5.7%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the Central Coast Council area between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 40 hours (+2,956 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,050 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,017 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,921 persons)