Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the Central Coast Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Central Coast Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Central Coast Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Central Coast Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Central Coast Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,114||0.8||2.1||912||0.6||2.1||+202|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,554||1.1||0.9||1,861||1.3||1.0||-307|
|Accommodation and Food Services||10,584||7.6||7.1||9,485||6.7||6.3||+1,099|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,260||3.8||4.7||5,684||4.0||4.6||-424|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||2,685||1.9||2.2||2,610||1.9||2.2||+75|
|Financial and Insurance Services||4,660||3.3||4.9||4,140||2.9||4.8||+520|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||2,433||1.7||1.8||2,154||1.5||1.5||+279|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||7,521||5.4||8.1||7,168||5.1||7.4||+353|
|Administrative and Support Services||4,986||3.6||3.5||4,505||3.2||3.1||+481|
|Public Administration and Safety||8,698||6.2||6.0||8,357||5.9||5.8||+341|
|Education and Training||10,708||7.7||8.4||9,411||6.7||7.5||+1,297|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||21,416||15.3||12.5||18,599||13.2||10.9||+2,817|
|Arts and Recreation Services||2,127||1.5||1.5||1,970||1.4||1.4||+157|
|Industry not classified||5,836||4.2||4.7||3,031||2.2||2.3||+2,805|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Central Coast Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (21,416 people or 15.3%)
- Construction (15,723 people or 11.3%)
- Retail Trade (15,491 people or 11.1%)
In combination these three industries employed 52,630 people in total or 37.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 8.4% in Construction and 9.7% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Central Coast Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.3% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (15.3% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.4% compared to 8.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (3.3% compared to 4.9%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Central Coast Council area were for those employed in:
- Construction (+3,133 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,817 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,805 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-2,779 resident workforce)