Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Charles Sturt's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Charles Sturt depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Charles Sturt - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||South Australia%||Number||%||South Australia%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,496||12.6||12.8||5,748||11.9||12.0||+748|
|16 hours - 24 hours||5,243||10.1||10.4||4,727||9.8||9.8||+516|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,508||12.6||13.1||5,622||11.6||11.7||+886|
|35 hours - 39 hours||11,730||22.7||20.6||10,400||21.5||19.8||+1,330|
|41 hours - 48 hours||4,711||9.1||9.2||4,975||10.3||10.2||-264|
|49 hours or more||5,961||11.5||13.1||6,010||12.4||14.5||-49|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Charles Sturt's resident workers in 2016 compared to South Australia shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 39.0% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 59.5% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.1% and 58.3% respectively for South Australia.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Charles Sturt and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 25 hours - 34 hours (12.6% compared to 13.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (22.7% compared to 20.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (16.2% compared to 15.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (11.5% compared to 13.1%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Charles Sturt increased by 1423 people (4.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Charles Sturt between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,330 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+886 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+748 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+516 persons)