Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Cumberland City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Cumberland City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Cumberland City Council - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,562||9.9||10.8||6,657||8.8||10.4||+1,905|
|16 hours - 24 hours||10,220||11.8||10.4||7,645||10.1||9.7||+2,575|
|25 hours - 34 hours||8,546||9.8||10.5||6,918||9.1||9.8||+1,628|
|35 hours - 39 hours||21,180||24.4||19.1||18,418||24.3||18.2||+2,762|
|41 hours - 48 hours||6,498||7.5||9.1||6,149||8.1||10.0||+349|
|49 hours or more||8,050||9.3||14.9||7,919||10.5||16.4||+131|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Cumberland City's resident workers in 2016 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.8% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 62.9% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 34.9% and 63.1% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Cumberland City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.4% compared to 19.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (21.7% compared to 20.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (7.5% compared to 9.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (9.3% compared to 14.9%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Cumberland City increased by 5313 people (10.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Cumberland City between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,762 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+2,575 persons)
- 40 hours (+2,071 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,905 persons)