Cumberland Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers (All industries) Professionals in the Cumberland Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the Cumberland Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Cumberland Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||13,374||15.4||12.7||11,506||15.2||13.2||+1,868|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||8,435||9.7||10.4||6,493||8.6||9.5||+1,942|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||12,367||14.2||13.8||12,771||16.9||15.1||-404|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||7,339||8.5||6.1||6,769||8.9||6.4||+570|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,542||2.9||1.8||2,098||2.8||1.8||+444|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the Cumberland Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (16,451 people or 18.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (13,374 people or 15.4%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (12,367 people or 14.2%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 42,192 people in total or 48.6% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, New South Wales employed 23.6% in Professionals; 12.7% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the Cumberland Council area and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (18.9% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (8.9% compared to 13.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (12.1% compared to 8.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.4% compared to 12.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Cumberland Council area increased by 11,076 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Cumberland Council area were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,288 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+1,942 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+1,868 persons)
- Labourers (+1,840 persons)