Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Greater Geelong's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Greater Geelong depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Greater Geelong - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||14,420||13.9||12.0||12,625||13.2||11.4||+1,795|
|16 hours - 24 hours||11,738||11.3||10.5||9,841||10.3||9.7||+1,897|
|25 hours - 34 hours||12,464||12.0||11.2||10,491||11.0||10.1||+1,973|
|35 hours - 39 hours||18,316||17.7||18.7||16,159||16.9||17.6||+2,157|
|41 hours - 48 hours||9,098||8.8||9.2||9,777||10.2||10.2||-679|
|49 hours or more||12,874||12.4||13.7||12,906||13.5||15.2||-32|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Greater Geelong's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 41.2% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 57.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Greater Geelong and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (13.9% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (17.7% compared to 18.7%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (18.1% compared to 19.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (12.4% compared to 13.7%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Greater Geelong increased by 2621 people (4.6%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Greater Geelong between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+2,157 persons)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+1,973 persons)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,897 persons)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,795 persons)