City of Greater Geelong
Local workers - Qualifications - All industries
Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Greater Geelong - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||26,513||27.9||33.3||19,910||23.1||28.6||+6,603|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||11,420||12.0||11.5||8,913||10.3||10.4||+2,507|
|Certificate I and II Level||1,157||1.2||1.0||1,131||1.3||1.1||+26|
|Certificate III & IV Level||20,607||21.7||18.1||18,664||21.6||17.9||+1,943|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,731||1.8||1.8||1,477||1.7||1.5||+254|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,476||2.6||2.8||3,424||4.0||4.0||-948|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Greater Geelong in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 64.6% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 32.8% had no qualifications, compared with 65.7% and 31.6% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Greater Geelong and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (27.9% compared to 33.3%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (21.7% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (32.8% compared to 31.6%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.0% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Greater Geelong between 2011 and 2016 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+6,603 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+2,507 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+1,943 local workers)
- No qualification (-1,641 local workers)