City of Greater Geelong
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Greater Geelong's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Greater Geelong||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||15,528||15.0||13.1||15,496||16.2||13.9||+32|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||13,398||12.9||10.6||10,744||11.3||9.3||+2,654|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||12,651||12.2||13.3||12,191||12.8||14.4||+460|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||6,203||6.0||5.8||6,374||6.7||6.1||-171|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,672||1.6||1.7||2,005||2.1||2.2||-333|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Greater Geelong in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (21,531 people or 20.8%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (15,528 people or 15.0%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (13,398 people or 12.9%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 50,457 people in total or 48.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 23.3% in Professionals; 13.1% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 10.6% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Greater Geelong and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (10.7% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (20.8% compared to 23.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (12.9% compared to 10.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (15.0% compared to 13.1%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Greater Geelong increased by 8,179 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Greater Geelong were those employed as:
- Professionals (+2,906 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+2,654 persons)
- Managers (+1,259 persons)
- Sales Workers (+813 persons)