City of Greater Geelong
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the City of Greater Geelong's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|City of Greater Geelong||2021||2016||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||18,789||14.5||12.6||15,528||15.0||13.1||+3,261|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||17,599||13.6||11.0||13,398||12.9||10.6||+4,201|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||14,732||11.4||12.4||12,651||12.2||13.3||+2,081|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||7,881||6.1||5.9||6,203||6.0||5.8||+1,678|
|Inadequately described or not stated||2,238||1.7||2.0||1,672||1.6||1.7||+566|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the City of Greater Geelong in 2021shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (29,365 people or 22.7%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (18,789 people or 14.5%)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (17,599 people or 13.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 65,753 people in total or 50.7% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 25.0% in Professionals; 12.6% in Technicians and Trades Workers and 11.0% in Community and Personal Service Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Greater Geelong and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Community and Personal Service Workers (13.6% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (11.6% compared to 14.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (22.7% compared to 25.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Technicians and Trades Workers (14.5% compared to 12.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Greater Geelong increased by 26,021 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Greater Geelong were those employed as:
- Professionals (+7,834 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+4,201 persons)
- Managers (+3,890 persons)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (+3,261 persons)