City of Ipswich
Resident workers - Hours worked
41.2% of the resident workers in the City of Ipswich work 40 or more hours, compared to 43.2% in Queensland.
Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for the City of Ipswich's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in the City of Ipswich depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Ipswich||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Queensland%||Number||%||Queensland%||2011 to 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,924||9.4||11.0||6,690||8.9||10.4||+1,234||22002|
|16 hours - 24 hours||7,027||8.3||9.4||5,914||7.9||8.8||+1,113||22003|
|25 hours - 34 hours||9,945||11.8||12.0||7,464||10.0||10.8||+2,481||22004|
|35 hours - 39 hours||20,087||23.8||19.2||17,078||22.8||18.1||+3,009||22005|
|41 hours - 48 hours||8,385||9.9||9.4||8,281||11.1||10.5||+104||22007|
|49 hours or more||11,191||13.3||16.6||11,045||14.8||18.4||+146||22008|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Ipswich's resident workers in 2016 compared to Queensland shows that there was a lower proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a higher proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 33.1% of the resident workers worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 65.1% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 35.8% and 62.4% respectively for Queensland.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers of the City of Ipswich and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (23.8% compared to 19.2%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (13.3% compared to 16.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (9.4% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 16 hours - 24 hours (8.3% compared to 9.4%)
From 2011 to 2016, the number of the resident workers working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Ipswich increased by 4,911 people (9.8%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers in the City of Ipswich between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+3,009 people)
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+2,481 people)
- 40 hours (+1,652 people)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,234 people)