Health Care and Social Assistance employs more of the City of Ipswich's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Ipswich residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Ipswich, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Ipswich are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Ipswich - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||702||0.8||2.8||458||0.6||2.6||+244|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,060||1.3||1.1||1,026||1.3||1.1||+34|
|Accommodation and Food Services||4,656||5.5||7.3||3,868||4.8||6.5||+788|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||5,464||6.5||5.1||5,054||6.3||4.9||+410|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||882||1.0||1.2||682||0.8||1.2||+200|
|Financial and Insurance Services||2,102||2.5||2.5||1,803||2.2||2.5||+299|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,381||1.6||2.0||1,059||1.3||1.7||+322|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||3,695||4.4||6.3||3,388||4.2||6.1||+307|
|Administrative and Support Services||2,860||3.4||3.5||2,299||2.9||3.0||+561|
|Public Administration and Safety||7,651||9.1||6.6||7,227||9.0||6.3||+424|
|Education and Training||6,846||8.1||9.0||5,171||6.4||7.4||+1,675|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||11,093||13.2||13.0||9,081||11.3||11.2||+2,012|
|Arts and Recreation Services||824||1.0||1.6||665||0.8||1.3||+159|
|Industry not classified||3,968||4.7||4.3||1,715||2.1||2.2||+2,253|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Ipswich in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (11,093 people or 13.2%)
- Retail Trade (8,843 people or 10.5%)
- Manufacturing (8,425 people or 10.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 28,361 people in total or 33.7% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.9% in Retail Trade and 6.0% in Manufacturing.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Ipswich and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (10.0% compared to 6.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (9.1% compared to 6.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.8% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (4.4% compared to 6.3%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the City of Ipswich were for those employed in:
- Manufacturing (-2,317 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+2,253 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+2,012 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,675 resident workforce)