Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Ku-ring-gai Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Ku-ring-gai Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Ku-ring-gai Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Ku-ring-gai Council area - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||222||0.4||2.0||178||0.3||2.1||+44|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||360||0.6||1.0||286||0.5||0.9||+74|
|Accommodation and Food Services||2,424||4.1||6.2||2,632||4.8||7.1||-208|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,279||2.2||4.6||1,214||2.2||4.7||+65|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,852||3.2||1.8||2,120||3.9||2.2||-268|
|Financial and Insurance Services||6,706||11.4||5.3||5,653||10.3||4.9||+1,053|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,661||2.8||1.7||1,424||2.6||1.8||+237|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||10,268||17.5||8.9||9,341||17.0||8.1||+927|
|Administrative and Support Services||1,360||2.3||3.2||1,451||2.6||3.5||-91|
|Public Administration and Safety||2,204||3.8||6.1||2,006||3.7||6.0||+198|
|Education and Training||5,854||10.0||8.7||5,449||9.9||8.4||+405|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||8,292||14.2||14.4||7,198||13.1||12.5||+1,094|
|Arts and Recreation Services||809||1.4||1.4||836||1.5||1.5||-27|
|Industry not classified||2,424||4.1||4.6||2,274||4.1||4.7||+150|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Ku-ring-gai Council area in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (10,268 people or 17.5%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (8,292 people or 14.2%)
- Financial and Insurance Services (6,706 people or 11.4%)
In combination these three industries employed 25,266 people in total or 43.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, New South Wales employed 8.9% in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services; 14.4% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 5.3% in Financial and Insurance Services.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Ku-ring-gai Council area and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (17.5% compared to 8.9%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (11.4% compared to 5.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (4.6% compared to 8.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (2.2% compared to 4.6%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in Ku-ring-gai Council area were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+1,094 resident workforce)
- Financial and Insurance Services (+1,053 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+927 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+405 resident workforce)