Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for Liverpool City's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in Liverpool City depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|Liverpool City Council - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||8,383||9.3||10.8||7,939||9.5||10.8||+444|
|16 hours - 24 hours||8,619||9.6||10.4||7,534||9.0||10.4||+1,085|
|25 hours - 34 hours||7,864||8.7||10.0||8,081||9.6||10.5||-217|
|35 hours - 39 hours||21,643||24.1||20.4||20,023||23.9||19.1||+1,620|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,000||5.6||7.4||6,917||8.2||9.1||-1,917|
|49 hours or more||6,618||7.4||11.5||10,062||12.0||14.9||-3,444|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by Liverpool City's resident workers in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 42.4% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 55.2% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 40.3% and 58.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of Liverpool City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked None (14.8% compared to 9.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (24.1% compared to 20.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (5.6% compared to 7.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 49 hours or more (7.4% compared to 11.5%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in Liverpool City decreased by 6065 people (-10.9%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in Liverpool City between2016 and 2021 were:
- None (+10,976 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-3,444 persons)
- 40 hours (-2,324 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-1,917 persons)