Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|Liverpool City - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||24,306||31.7||38.4||17,265||25.4||32.6||+7,041|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,807||11.5||11.0||7,672||11.3||11.1||+1,135|
|Certificate I and II Level||843||1.1||1.2||861||1.3||1.2||-18|
|Certificate III & IV Level||13,311||17.4||18.1||12,611||18.6||18.7||+700|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,528||2.0||1.9||1,606||2.4||2.3||-78|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,967||2.6||2.3||2,136||3.1||2.9||-169|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in Liverpool City in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 63.7% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.8% had no qualifications, compared with 70.7% and 27.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of Liverpool City and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.8% compared to 27.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (31.7% compared to 38.4%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (17.4% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (11.5% compared to 11.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in Liverpool City between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+7,041 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+1,135 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+700 local workers)
- No qualification (+147 local workers)