Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Merri-bek's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Merri-bek or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Merri-bek, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Merri-bek - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||3,763||4.0||2.6||2,918||3.6||2.4||+845|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||7,463||8.0||9.7||6,610||8.2||10.1||+853|
|Architecture and Building||3,822||4.1||4.6||3,305||4.1||4.6||+517|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,023||1.1||1.5||862||1.1||1.6||+161|
|Management and Commerce||14,036||15.1||15.8||11,756||14.6||15.0||+2,280|
|Society and Culture||12,344||13.3||9.6||9,608||12.0||8.9||+2,736|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,740||2.9||3.5||2,601||3.2||3.6||+139|
|Mixed Field Programmes||54||0.1||0.1||93||0.1||0.1||-39|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,010||3.2||3.1||2,665||3.3||2.9||+345|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Merri-bek shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (14,036 people or 15.1%)
- Society and Culture (12,344 people or 13.3%)
- Health (7,901 people or 8.5%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 34,281 people in total or 36.8% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Victoria employed 15.8% in Management and Commerce; 9.6% in Society and Culture and 8.5% in Health.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the City of Merri-bek and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Creative Arts (8.4% compared to 3.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Society and Culture (13.3% compared to 9.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (8.0% compared to 9.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Natural and Physical Sciences (4.0% compared to 2.6%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Merri-bek increased by 12,715 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Merri-bek was for those qualified in:
- Society and Culture (+2,736 resident workers)
- Health (+2,350 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+2,280 resident workers)
- Creative Arts (+2,048 resident workers)