Hours Worked statistics shows the distribution of employment hours in the City of Merri-bek across each industry sector. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in a particular industry depend on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work in the industry;
- The demands of jobs in the industry and requirement to work overtime;
- The age and family responsibilities of people working in the industry; and
- The gender profile of workers in the industry (due to family commitments, females are often more likely to work part-time).
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers hours worked, 2021|
|City of Merri-bek - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2016 - 2021|
|1 hour - 15 hours||6,489||14.7||11.7||5,303||13.7||12.0||+1,186|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,045||13.7||10.8||4,937||12.7||10.5||+1,108|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,226||14.1||11.6||5,245||13.5||11.2||+981|
|35 hours - 39 hours||8,700||19.7||20.8||7,346||18.9||18.7||+1,354|
|41 hours - 48 hours||2,764||6.2||8.0||2,953||7.6||9.2||-189|
|49 hours or more||4,027||9.1||11.1||4,509||11.6||13.6||-482|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Merri-bek in 2021compared to Victoria within the City of Merri-bek shows that there was a higher proportion who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion who worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 47.2% of the workforce worked part-time (34 hours or less) , and 51.0% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 39.1% and 59.2% respectively for Victoria within the City of Merri-bek.
The major differences between the hours worked by the workforce in the City of Merri-bek and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 1 hour - 15 hours (14.7% compared to 11.7%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 16 hours - 24 hours (13.7% compared to 10.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers who worked 25 hours - 34 hours (14.1% compared to 11.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers who worked 40 hours (16.0% compared to 19.2%)
The largest changes in the hours worked by the All industries workforce in the City of Merri-bek between 2016 and 2021 were:
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+1,354 local workers)
- 1 hour - 15 hours (+1,186 local workers)
- 16 hours - 24 hours (+1,108 local workers)
- None (+1,074 local workers)