Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area
Resident workers - Industry
Public Administration and Safety employs more of the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||NSW||Number||%||NSW||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||497||1.7||2.1||466||1.6||2.1||+31|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||313||1.1||0.9||398||1.3||1.0||-85|
|Accommodation and Food Services||1,561||5.3||7.1||1,420||4.8||6.3||+141|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||1,014||3.4||4.7||1,055||3.6||4.6||-41|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||416||1.4||2.2||426||1.4||2.2||-10|
|Financial and Insurance Services||376||1.3||4.9||437||1.5||4.8||-61|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||445||1.5||1.8||412||1.4||1.5||+33|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||1,982||6.7||8.1||2,049||6.9||7.4||-67|
|Administrative and Support Services||828||2.8||3.5||774||2.6||3.1||+54|
|Public Administration and Safety||7,478||25.4||6.0||7,592||25.7||5.8||-114|
|Education and Training||2,115||7.2||8.4||1,777||6.0||7.5||+338|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||2,811||9.6||12.5||2,413||8.2||10.9||+398|
|Arts and Recreation Services||423||1.4||1.5||415||1.4||1.4||+8|
|Industry not classified||1,129||3.8||4.7||561||1.9||2.3||+568|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Public Administration and Safety (7,478 people or 25.4%)
- Construction (2,959 people or 10.1%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (2,811 people or 9.6%)
In combination these three industries employed 13,248 people in total or 45.1% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, NSW employed 6.0% in Public Administration and Safety; 8.4% in Construction and 12.5% in Health Care and Social Assistance.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area and NSW were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Public Administration and Safety (25.4% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Financial and Insurance Services (1.3% compared to 4.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Health Care and Social Assistance (9.6% compared to 12.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (3.6% compared to 5.8%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area were for those employed in:
- Industry not classified (+568 resident workforce)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+398 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+338 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-333 resident workforce)