Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
There are more resident workers professionals in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area than any other occupation.
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers occupations|
|Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||NSW%||Number||%||NSW%||2011 to 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,929||13.4||12.7||3,968||13.8||13.2||-39||27000||P|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,030||10.3||10.4||2,644||9.2||9.5||+386||28000||P|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||5,381||18.3||13.8||5,588||19.5||15.1||-207||29000||P|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,353||4.6||6.1||1,497||5.2||6.4||-144||31000||P|
|Inadequately described or not stated||677||2.3||1.8||703||2.4||1.8||-26||33000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Professionals (5,882 people or 20.0%)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (5,381 people or 18.3%)
- Managers (4,734 people or 16.1%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 15,997 people in total or 54.4% of the resident workers .
In comparison, NSW employed 23.6% in Professionals; 13.8% in Clerical and Administrative Workers; and 13.5% in Managers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers of the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area and NSW were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (18.3% compared to 13.8%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers employed as Managers (16.1% compared to 13.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Professionals (20.0% compared to 23.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers employed as Labourers (7.2% compared to 8.8%)
The number of people in the resident workers ] in Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area increased by 706 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the Queanbeyan-Palerang Regional Council area were for those employed as:
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+386 people)
- Managers (+304 people)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-207 people)
- Sales Workers (+204 people)