RDA Murraylands and Riverland region
Resident workers - Occupations of employment
Occupations are a key component in evaluating the knowledge, experience and skill-levels that industry can draw upon locally. It should be viewed with other indicators, such as Age structure, Qualifications, and Income for a comprehensive analysis of the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region's local resident workers.
When comparing the occupations of local resident workers with local workers, Occupation data indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents or relies on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
- Excel full
- Word full
|Resident workers occupations|
|RDA Murraylands and Riverland region||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,654||12.6||13.4||3,651||12.7||14.1||+3|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,082||10.7||12.0||2,880||10.0||10.5||+202|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,820||9.8||13.3||2,900||10.1||14.4||-80|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||2,246||7.8||6.1||2,172||7.5||6.4||+74|
|Inadequately described or not stated||474||1.6||1.5||488||1.7||1.6||-14|
An analysis of the jobs held by the resident workers in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (5,878 people or 20.3%)
- Managers (5,176 people or 17.9%)
- Technicians and Trades Workers (3,654 people or 12.6%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 14,708 people in total or 50.9% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, South Australia employed 11.1% in Labourers; 12.6% in Managers and 13.4% in Technicians and Trades Workers.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workers (All industries) of the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region and South Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Professionals (10.3% compared to 20.3%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Labourers (20.3% compared to 11.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Managers (17.9% compared to 12.6%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.8% compared to 13.3%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region increased by 52 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the occupations of the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region were those employed as:
- Managers (-385 persons)
- Sales Workers (+226 persons)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+202 persons)
- Clerical and Administrative Workers (-80 persons)