RDA Murraylands and Riverland region
Local workers - Occupations - All industries
In the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region, 20.2% of workers were Labourers, compared to 20.2% in South Australia.
Occupation is a key component for evaluating the socio-economic status of the local workers and the skills required to work in each industry sector.
The occupations of the local workers in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region will be influenced by factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region;
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry; and
- The working and social aspirations of the population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 (experimental imputed) & 2016 – by place of work
|Local workers occupations|
|RDA Murraylands and Riverland region - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Occupations (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||South Australia||Number||%||South Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Technicians and Trades Workers||3,181||11.5||13.4||3,158||11.6||14.1||+23|
|Community and Personal Service Workers||3,022||10.9||12.0||2,790||10.2||10.5||+232|
|Clerical and Administrative Workers||2,678||9.7||13.4||2,761||10.1||14.4||-83|
|Machinery Operators And Drivers||1,899||6.9||6.1||1,870||6.9||6.4||+29|
|Inadequately described or not stated||431||1.6||1.5||435||1.6||1.6||-4|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
An analysis of the jobs held by the All industries workforce in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region in 2016 shows the three most popular occupations were:
- Labourers (5,591 local workers or 20.2%)
- Managers (5,136 local workers or 18.5%)
- Professionals (3,256 local workers or 11.8%)
In combination these three occupations accounted for 13,983 people in total or 50.5% of the All industries local workers.
In comparison, South Australia employed 11.1% as Labourers; 12.6% as Managers and 20.2% as Professionals.
The major differences between the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region and South Australia were:
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Labourers (20.2% compared to 11.1%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Professionals (11.8% compared to 20.2%)
- A larger percentage of local workers employed as Managers (18.5% compared to 12.6%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers employed as Clerical and Administrative Workers (9.7% compared to 13.4%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the workforce in the RDA Murraylands and Riverland region between 2011 and 2016 were those employed as:
- Managers (-390 local workers)
- Labourers (+261 local workers)
- Sales Workers (+250 local workers)
- Community and Personal Service Workers (+232 local workers)