Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2011 - 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||185||1.4||2.5||121||1.4||2.3||+64|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||2,169||16.9||14.1||1,395||15.8||13.8||+774|
|Architecture and Building||577||4.5||4.3||415||4.7||4.1||+162|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||231||1.8||1.6||169||1.9||1.5||+62|
|Management and Commerce||1,314||10.2||13.0||735||8.3||11.4||+579|
|Society and Culture||819||6.4||7.3||436||4.9||6.2||+383|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||551||4.3||3.7||310||3.5||3.4||+241|
|Mixed Field Programmes||13||0.1||0.1||10||0.1||0.1||+3|
|Not stated or inadequately described||317||2.5||2.5||273||3.1||3.2||+44|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (2,169 people or 16.9%)
- Management and Commerce (1,314 people or 10.2%)
- Society and Culture (819 people or 6.4%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 4,302 people in total or 33.4% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 14.1% in Engineering and Related Technologies; 13.0% in Management and Commerce and 7.3% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (10.2% compared to 13.0%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (16.9% compared to 14.1%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Health (6.1% compared to 7.5%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Education (4.6% compared to 5.8%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale increased by 4,053 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2011 and 2016 in the Shire of Serpentine Jarrahdale was for those qualified in:
- Engineering and Related Technologies (+774 resident workers)
- Management and Commerce (+579 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+383 resident workers)
- Health (+363 resident workers)