Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing employs more of Tablelands's resident workforce than any other industry sector.
Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which Tablelands residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in Tablelands, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in Tablelands are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|Tablelands - Persons||2016||2011||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Queensland||Number||%||Queensland||2011 - 2016|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||1,287||13.3||2.8||1,065||11.0||2.6||+222|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||100||1.0||1.1||110||1.1||1.1||-10|
|Accommodation and Food Services||610||6.3||7.3||621||6.4||6.5||-11|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||329||3.4||5.1||366||3.8||4.9||-37|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||66||0.7||1.2||70||0.7||1.2||-4|
|Financial and Insurance Services||116||1.2||2.5||116||1.2||2.5||--|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||132||1.4||2.0||112||1.2||1.7||+20|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||372||3.9||6.3||413||4.3||6.1||-41|
|Administrative and Support Services||263||2.7||3.5||201||2.1||3.0||+62|
|Public Administration and Safety||575||6.0||6.6||612||6.3||6.3||-37|
|Education and Training||963||10.0||9.0||864||9.0||7.4||+99|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||1,264||13.1||13.0||1,136||11.8||11.2||+128|
|Arts and Recreation Services||129||1.3||1.6||107||1.1||1.3||+22|
|Industry not classified||415||4.3||4.3||263||2.7||2.2||+152|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in Tablelands in 2016 shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (1,287 people or 13.3%)
- Health Care and Social Assistance (1,264 people or 13.1%)
- Retail Trade (1,061 people or 11.0%)
In combination these three industries employed 3,612 people in total or 37.4% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Queensland employed 2.8% in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing; 13.0% in Health Care and Social Assistance and 9.9% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of Tablelands and Queensland were:
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (13.3% compared to 2.8%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (3.9% compared to 6.3%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Manufacturing (4.3% compared to 6.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (3.4% compared to 5.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2011 and 2016 in Tablelands were for those employed in:
- Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (+222 resident workforce)
- Manufacturing (-161 resident workforce)
- Mining (-159 resident workforce)
- Industry not classified (+152 resident workforce)