The Hills Shire
Resident workers - Field of qualification
There are more resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce in The Hills Shire than in any other field.
Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among The Hills Shire's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in The Hills Shire or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of The Hills Shire, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|The Hills Shire||2016||2011||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||New South Wales%||Number||%||New South Wales%||2011 to 2016|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||2,188||2.7||2.1||1,889||2.6||2.0||+299||30000||P|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||8,819||11.0||10.4||8,666||11.7||10.8||+153||50000||P|
|Architecture and Building||3,289||4.1||4.4||2,935||4.0||4.1||+354||60000||P|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||777||1.0||1.5||768||1.0||1.5||+9||70000||P|
|Management and Commerce||17,633||22.0||17.1||14,982||20.3||15.5||+2,651||91000||P|
|Society and Culture||6,150||7.7||8.8||4,872||6.6||7.6||+1,278||92000||P|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||2,000||2.5||3.3||1,944||2.6||3.2||+56||94000||P|
|Mixed Field Programmes||39||0.0||0.1||30||0.0||0.1||+9||95000||P|
|Not stated or inadequately described||1,737||2.2||2.7||2,146||2.9||3.5||-409||96000||P|
Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics, Census of Population and Housing (opens a new window) 2011 and 2016. Compiled and presented by .id (opens a new window), the population experts.
Analysis of the field of qualifications in The Hills Shire shows that the three largest fields the resident workers were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (17,633 people or 22.0%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (8,819 people or 11.0%)
- Society and Culture (6,150 people or 7.7%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 32,602 people in total or 40.7% of the resident workers .
In comparison, New South Wales employed 17.1% in Management and Commerce; 10.4% in Engineering and Related Technologies; and 8.8% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Management and Commerce (22.0% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers qualified in Information Technology (4.7% compared to 3.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers qualified in Society and Culture (7.7% compared to 8.8%)
The number of resident workers in The Hills Shire increased by 6,205 between 2011 and 2016.
The largest changes in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers between 2011 and 2016 in The Hills Shire were for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+2,651 people)
- Society and Culture (+1,278 people)
- Information Technology (+1,015 people)
- Health (+960 people)