Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|The Hills Shire - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||New South Wales||Number||%||New South Wales||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||29,086||41.1||38.4||21,626||33.9||32.6||+7,460|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,819||12.5||11.0||8,334||13.1||11.1||+485|
|Certificate I and II Level||712||1.0||1.2||730||1.1||1.2||-18|
|Certificate III & IV Level||10,175||14.4||18.1||10,076||15.8||18.7||+99|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,538||2.2||1.9||1,592||2.5||2.3||-54|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,544||2.2||2.3||1,713||2.7||2.9||-169|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in The Hills Shire in 2021 compared to New South Wales shows that there was a similar proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a similar proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 71.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 26.6% had no qualifications, compared with 70.7% and 27.0% respectively for New South Wales.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of The Hills Shire and New South Wales were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (14.4% compared to 18.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (41.1% compared to 38.4%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.5% compared to 11.0%)
- A smaller percentage of local workers with No qualification (26.6% compared to 27.0%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in The Hills Shire between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+7,460 local workers)
- No qualification (-954 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+485 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+99 local workers)