Field of qualification presents the primary field of study for the highest qualification the person has received. While this is likely to have some relationship to their current occupation, this is not necessarily the case.
The presence of specific qualifications among the City of Wanneroo's resident workforce, which are not used by local industry, may indicate an opportunity for a new industry to move into the area and access a ready labour force.
The field of study relates to a number of factors, such as:
- The age of the population;
- The types of industries and occupations located in the City of Wanneroo or within commuting distance, and their qualification requirements;
- The availability of educational institutions with those curricula nearby;
- The socio-economic status of the City of Wanneroo, and;
- The mobility of the population to move where particular skills are required.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers field of qualification|
|City of Wanneroo - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Field of qualification (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Western Australia||Number||%||Western Australia||2016 - 2021|
|Natural and Physical Sciences||1,821||1.7||2.7||1,488||1.7||2.5||+333|
|Engineering and Related Technologies||13,034||12.5||13.6||11,687||13.1||14.1||+1,347|
|Architecture and Building||5,166||4.9||4.0||4,999||5.6||4.3||+167|
|Agriculture, Environmental and Related Studies||1,014||1.0||1.6||865||1.0||1.6||+149|
|Management and Commerce||13,348||12.8||13.9||10,799||12.1||13.0||+2,549|
|Society and Culture||8,432||8.1||8.2||6,178||6.9||7.3||+2,254|
|Food, Hospitality and Personal Services||4,807||4.6||3.9||3,988||4.5||3.7||+819|
|Mixed Field Programmes||98||0.1||0.1||92||0.1||0.1||+6|
|Not stated or inadequately described||3,136||3.0||2.9||2,262||2.5||2.5||+874|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the field of qualifications in the City of Wanneroo shows that the three largest fields the resident workers (All industries) were qualified in were:
- Management and Commerce (13,348 people or 12.8%)
- Engineering and Related Technologies (13,034 people or 12.5%)
- Society and Culture (8,432 people or 8.1%)
In combination these three fields accounted for 34,814 people in total or 33.3% of the resident workers (All industries).
In comparison, Western Australia employed 13.9% in Management and Commerce; 13.6% in Engineering and Related Technologies and 8.2% in Society and Culture.
The major differences between the field of qualifications held by the resident workers () of the City of Wanneroo and Western Australia were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Management and Commerce (12.8% compared to 13.9%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Engineering and Related Technologies (12.5% compared to 13.6%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Architecture and Building (4.9% compared to 4.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers (All industries) qualified in Natural and Physical Sciences (1.7% compared to 2.7%)
The number of resident workers (All industries) in the City of Wanneroo increased by 15,504 between 2016 and 2021.
The largest change in the field of qualifications held by the resident workers (All industries) between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Wanneroo was for those qualified in:
- Management and Commerce (+2,549 resident workers)
- Society and Culture (+2,254 resident workers)
- Health (+2,079 resident workers)
- Education (+1,378 resident workers)