Industry sector data identifies the industries in which the residents of an area work either within the residing area or elsewhere. Comparing the industry sectors in which the City of Whittlesea residents are employed in the industry sectors that are located in the City of Whittlesea, indicates whether an economy draws on the skills offered by its own residents, or on a different set of skills imported from elsewhere in the region.
Industry sector statistics in the City of Whittlesea are influenced by a range of factors including:
- The economic base and employment opportunities available within commuting distance;
- The educational levels of the local population; and
- The working and social aspirations of the local population.
Industry sector data should be viewed in conjunction with Residents place of work.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 and 2021 – by usual residence
|Resident workers industry of employment|
|City of Whittlesea - Persons||2021||2016||Change|
|Industry (Click rows to view sub-categories)||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing||565||0.5||2.1||514||0.6||2.2||+51|
|Electricity, Gas, Water and Waste Services||1,067||1.0||1.1||1,068||1.2||1.1||-1|
|Accommodation and Food Services||5,948||5.6||6.2||5,187||5.9||6.6||+761|
|Transport, Postal and Warehousing||7,156||6.7||4.7||6,191||7.0||4.8||+965|
|Information Media and Telecommunications||1,435||1.3||1.6||1,372||1.5||1.9||+63|
|Financial and Insurance Services||3,802||3.6||4.1||3,110||3.5||3.9||+692|
|Rental, Hiring and Real Estate Services||1,238||1.2||1.5||1,171||1.3||1.6||+67|
|Professional, Scientific and Technical Services||5,838||5.5||8.4||4,331||4.9||7.9||+1,507|
|Administrative and Support Services||3,625||3.4||3.1||3,240||3.7||3.4||+385|
|Public Administration and Safety||5,978||5.6||5.6||4,623||5.2||5.3||+1,355|
|Education and Training||8,196||7.7||8.8||6,200||7.0||8.6||+1,996|
|Health Care and Social Assistance||16,345||15.3||14.1||11,459||12.9||12.5||+4,886|
|Arts and Recreation Services||1,218||1.1||1.7||1,033||1.2||1.9||+185|
|Industry not classified||5,460||5.1||4.6||4,917||5.6||4.7||+543|
Analysis of the jobs held by the resident workforce in the City of Whittlesea in 2021shows the three most popular industry sectors were:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (16,345 people or 15.3%)
- Construction (12,192 people or 11.4%)
- Retail Trade (11,046 people or 10.3%)
In combination these three industries employed 39,583 people in total or 37.0% of the total resident workforce.
In comparison, Victoria employed 14.1% in Health Care and Social Assistance; 9.4% in Construction and 9.4% in Retail Trade.
The major differences between the jobs held by the resident workforce of the City of Whittlesea and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (5.5% compared to 8.4%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Transport, Postal and Warehousing (6.7% compared to 4.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workforce employed in Construction (11.4% compared to 9.4%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workforce employed in Agriculture, Forestry and Fishing (0.5% compared to 2.1%)
The largest changes in the jobs held by the resident workforce between 2016 and 2021 in the City of Whittlesea were for those employed in:
- Health Care and Social Assistance (+4,886 resident workforce)
- Construction (+3,187 resident workforce)
- Education and Training (+1,996 resident workforce)
- Professional, Scientific and Technical Services (+1,507 resident workforce)