Qualification levels help to evaluate the economic opportunities and socio-economic status of local workers in a particular industry.
The level of qualifications in a workforce relate to a number of factors including:
- The age of the workforce;
- The skill and qualification level required to enter an industry;
- The professional or working ambitions of people (to seek education as youth or retraining as adults);
- The opportunities afforded to people to continue studying beyond compulsory schooling.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2016 & 2021 – by place of work
|Local workers qualifications|
|City of Whittlesea - All industries||2021||2016||Change|
|Qualification level||Number||%||Victoria||Number||%||Victoria||2016 - 2021|
|Bachelor or Higher degree||22,317||31.9||39.0||14,283||26.9||33.3||+8,034|
|Advanced Diploma or Diploma||8,358||12.0||11.5||5,817||10.9||11.5||+2,541|
|Certificate I and II Level||693||1.0||1.0||544||1.0||1.0||+149|
|Certificate III & IV Level||12,400||17.7||17.1||9,927||18.7||18.1||+2,473|
|Certificate Level, nfd||1,159||1.7||1.5||1,029||1.9||1.8||+130|
|Inadequately described or not stated||1,654||2.4||2.2||1,573||3.0||2.8||+81|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the qualifications of the in the City of Whittlesea in 2021 compared to Victoria shows that there was a lower proportion holding formal qualifications (Bachelor or higher degree; Advanced Diploma or Diploma; or Vocational qualifications), and a higher proportion with no formal qualifications.
Overall, 64.2% of the workers who held educational qualifications, and 33.4% had no qualifications, compared with 70.1% and 27.8% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the qualifications held by the workforce of the City of Whittlesea and Victoria were:
- A smaller percentage of local workers with Bachelor or Higher degree (31.9% compared to 39.0%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with No qualification (33.4% compared to 27.8%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Certificate III & IV Level (17.7% compared to 17.1%)
- A larger percentage of local workers with Advanced Diploma or Diploma (12.0% compared to 11.5%)
The largest changes in the qualifications held by the workforce in the City of Whittlesea between 2016 and 2021 were:
- Bachelor or Higher degree (+8,034 local workers)
- No qualification (+3,384 local workers)
- Advanced Diploma or Diploma (+2,541 local workers)
- Certificate III & IV Level (+2,473 local workers)