Hours worked shows the distribution of employment hours for City of Banyule's residents. Full-time employment is considered 35-hours and over.
The hours worked by employed people in City of Banyule depends on a number of factors:
- The availability and take-up of part-time work;
- The industry sector in which they work;
- The occupation level and requirement or opportunity to work overtime, and;
- The age structure and household structure of the working population.
Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) – Census 2011 and 2016 – by usual residence
|Resident workers hours worked|
|City of Banyule - All industries||2016||2011||Change|
|Hours worked||Number||%||Victoria%||Number||%||Victoria%||2011 - 2016|
|1 hour - 15 hours||7,373||12.5||12.0||7,036||12.0||11.4||+337|
|16 hours - 24 hours||6,433||10.9||10.5||6,021||10.3||9.7||+412|
|25 hours - 34 hours||6,710||11.4||11.2||6,076||10.4||10.1||+634|
|35 hours - 39 hours||9,969||16.9||18.7||9,555||16.3||17.6||+414|
|41 hours - 48 hours||5,689||9.7||9.2||6,178||10.5||10.2||-489|
|49 hours or more||8,136||13.8||13.7||8,623||14.7||15.2||-487|
Please refer to specific data notes for more information
Analysis of the hours worked by the City of Banyule's resident workers in 2016 compared to Victoria shows that there was a higher proportion of people who worked part-time (34 hours or less) and a lower proportion of people worked full-time (35 hours or more).
Overall, 38.1% of the resident workers in All industries worked part-time (34 hours or less), and 60.3% worked full-time (35 hours or more), compared with 37.0% and 61.1% respectively for Victoria.
The major differences between the hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) of the City of Banyule and Victoria were:
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 1 hour - 15 hours (12.5% compared to 12.0%)
- A smaller percentage of resident workers worked 35 hours - 39 hours (16.9% compared to 18.7%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 40 hours (20.0% compared to 19.5%)
- A larger percentage of resident workers worked 41 hours - 48 hours (9.7% compared to 9.2%)
The number of the resident workers (All industries) working full-time (35 hours or more) in the City of Banyule decreased by 457 people (-1.3%).
The largest changes in hours worked by the resident workers (All industries) in the City of Banyule between 2011 and 2016 were:
- 25 hours - 34 hours (+634 persons)
- 41 hours - 48 hours (-489 persons)
- 49 hours or more (-487 persons)
- 35 hours - 39 hours (+414 persons)